Saturday, February 25, 2012

February 18th Intro Girls to Engineering Workshop

Well, I volunteered for this SWE (Society of Women Engineers) workshop.  Kaylyn joined some of the girls from GEMS to attend this workshop and I helped with the Chocolate Asphalt workshop.  It was a lot of fun and I learned more about asphalt than I ever thought I could since I did a lot of the teaching on it.  Most of the girls were engaged and interested.  Of course, most of them wanted to each their creation right away, but they had to wait awhile for it to cool.  This workshop made me miss teaching some, but by the last class there were older girls with attitudes that reminded me why I wasn't teaching anymore ;-)  This workshop was held for 3rd through 6th graders and about 620 girls showed up, not including the volunteers.  Amazing...and the girls got to do a lot of hands on stuff and Kaylyn really seemed to enjoy it.  But she did tell me that she did not want to be an engineer, but wants to be a zookeeper :-)  I'll keep working on her!







1 comment:

  1. Haha, I think a zookeeper sounds like a MUCH more fun job than an engineer :-). Good for you for volunteering!

    ReplyDelete