Tuesday, December 27, 2011

December 27, 2011 Ashlyn's post-op visit to get bandages off

Alright, so Kaylyn ran a 101 fever this morning at 4:00 am, got tylenol and came back down to 98.3 most of the day.  We headed over to Tampa to see Ashlyn's ear doctor to take the bandages off.  She was scared when he was taking the bandages off as you can see in the pictures.  Then we headed to Sonny's to meet my sister Kara, her husband Chris, and their little one Kalia.  She is so funny...when she starts to cry, all you have to do is get out the camera and she instantly smiles for the camera to take pictures.  She's only 6 months old and already doing this!  It's so funny!  Then we headed to David's Bridal so that I could order the dress and shoes for my other sister's wedding in April.  We got back in the car at 2:00 pm, took Kaylyn's temperature and it was back up to 100.3.  Ugh!  Gave more tylenol and she's staying at 99.  She has an appointment tomorrow at 9:45 and I have surgery at 10:30.  It's going to be another long day tomorrow.  Sometime in between this time off work, getting over sicknesses, and healing, we need to do Kaylyn's science project!

Ashlyn with her surgery bears that have the same bandages

 Ashlyn & Dr. Farrior before taking the bandages off

 Before picture of Ashlyn's left ear (kind of a bad pic)...only a little bit of her ear was fixed on the outside of this ear near the bottom.  This was the ear that had major surgery in March to remove the cholesteatoma.  This time he only had to chip some bone growth away that occurred and fix an air pocket that formed in her ear drum.  He said there was no disease in this ear anymore!

 Here is the after picture of Ashlyn's left ear.  We have to put 6 drops of antibiotic ear drops in her ear 3 times every day and cannot get the ear wet for 6-8 weeks.

 Here is the before picture of Ashlyn's right ear.  The doctor explained that it was an underdeveloped ear and lacked cartilage in parts of her ear.

 This is the after picture of Ashlyn's right ear.  It was pretty swollen still since there was a lot of stuff done on it.  He has three focal points that he tries to get the distance from the head to the outside of the ear and he said all three focal points matched perfectly.  Can't wait until the swelling goes down!

Wish I had a before picture of this because this would be the best picture of all to show the differences between the two ears.  Other than the swelling on the right ear, the ears look very similar now.  Amazing what Dr. Dean Davis did!

 Kalia at Sonny's with us and her parents

 Aunt Kara and Kalia

 Kaylyn, Kalia, & Aunt Kara.  Kaylyn was so happy to finally get to be near Kalia since we are pretty sure she is no longer contagious!

Aunt Kara & Kalia doing sacks of potatoes (and Uncle Chris to the side)

Ashlyn finally got to take her hair out of those awful rubber band ponytails.  They shaved her hair behind each ear, but her hair grows so fast, it will be nothing.  Also, she has to wear these bands around for 6 weeks to prevent her ear snagging on anything and "ripping".  The doc told us to get a sweat band, but I think the cloth headbands are much cuter ;-)  Now, I just can't wait until we can wash her hair.  I have a feeling we'll be using a lot of the powder shampoo since we can't get her ears wet.

1 comment:

  1. Love all of the pictures!! The girls Christmas looked so cute, love the letter to Santa! Poor Kaylyn does look completely wiped though. I forgot about Sundi and Eric for Tuesday...what happened with them meeting up? It was great getting to see all of you again :-), and I'm glad Kaylyn got to play with Kalia. We'll have to let her hold her next time you guys are over. Kalia was too poopy, then tired!! Haha, life of a 6 month old, huh?

    Love you guys!